- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced sweet pepper of your choice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup barbeque sauce (vegan or otherwise)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (vegan or otherwise)
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce or crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse the quinoa and prepare according to package directions.
2. Sautee the peppers and onions in the olive oil until tender (approximately 3 minutes), add garlic and cook an additional minute, taking care to ensure that the garlic doesn’t burn. Add the kidney beans, barbeque sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce/red pepper flakes if using, salt and pepper and cook until warmed through.
3. Top cooked quinoa with bean mixture.
Note: For you omnivores, feel free to add some andouille sausage to the bean mixture to keep it more traditional or cooked chicken strips would work nicely as well.