- 1 1/8 cups vital wheat gluten
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 onion diced
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Add the onion, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper, sesame oil, soy sauce, liquid smoke, tomato paste, and tahini to a food processor and pulse a few times to blend.
3. Add the water and blend until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the wheat gluten and then pour in the contents of the food processor and mix well. Knead for approximately 3-5 minutes to allow the gluten strands to form.
5. Form the mixture into a log. The mixture will want to rise some in the oven, so wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and twist the ends.
6. Bake the seitan log for 60 minutes, flipping it halfway through.
7. Let cool and use as desired.
Note: The log will keep in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic for about a week.